Over the summer and Christmas break I worked at Dick’s Sporting Goods. At Dick’s many things would be going on at once, there would be customers constantly flowing in and out of the store, there would be workers running to get orders and make the store look presentable. With multiple departments operating within the store things often were crazy!
I worked near the back of the store, on the Rock Wall. People would come back and ask to climb the wall and we would assist them, giving tips and making sure they were safe on their adventure. While working back there many people would come back to climb expecting the climb to not cost them a cent, this is the way the old company operated. We have to explain that Galyan’s (the previous owners) did not charge a fee to climb the wall but Dick’s does. This upsets many people.
Galyan’s was bought out by Dick’s a couple years ago, but people constantly call the company by the old name. They still carry the Galyan’s key card with them, not knowing it has been a long time and the current company no longer accepts these cards. Believe it or not, people will come into the store calling it Galyan’s as if they had not noticed the giant sign posted on the building outside before they walked in.
I was amazed that after so many years of the company being called Dick’s that some people had not changed. The customers would often be upset because some of the goods Galyan’s sold are not provided by Dick’s. For example, Galyan’s sold rock climbing equipment, Dick’s does not provide these products. One would think that if the company provides a rock wall for customers to experiment with, they would provide products for the customers to buy if they were enthusiastic about climbing.
Some people disagree with this statement, and think that Dick’s sells a wider variety of goods. In some departments I think this is true while in others I think it is not. I believe they sell more name brands then Galyan’s did, which raises prices of the products. Some customers who like the name brands are more satisfied with the Dick’s logo instead of the old Galyan’s logo. Others who are more conservative might take their business elsewhere to get more for their money. Coworkers would often say that they liked the management better when it was Galyan’s. They said it was a fun atmosphere to work in, not as strict but still efficient in their eyes.
I remember when it used to be Galyan’s because I would always have to go with my brother to get sports equipment, but now that it has been a couple years I have stopped calling Galyan’s on accident. The only thing I remember about Galyan’s is climbing the rock wall when I was little and also the big kayaks hanging around the store. Employees will still mess up every once in a while, but primarily it is the customers, who do not come encounter with it every day.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment