Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Researching Tactics

Response to #1
Research is the art of finding or researching particular information about a certain topic that you wish to gain more knowledge on. Research gives you the opportunity to acquire knew found knowledge about information that you probably did not know about before starting the research. To begin researching, in my humble opinion, you have to have a certain process to help you stay organized and on schedule.
My process for research consists of several main key points and processes. My process for research keeps me on time and organized. The first step is to decide what I am going to research. This is actually an important step because if I choose a topic that I have little interest in, I will not enjoy the research and therefore not complete the research in a good fashion. After deciding what the topic of research is, I am off to the library to hit the books.
Once at the library, I search the card catalog for several resources which can include but not limited to: books, magazines, internet sites, and published journals. After finding several key sources that seem like they will have good information about the topic I am researching, I find the sources and start to take notes on a note card. On the note cards, I usually place the title of the book and the author to make sure that I do not misplace quotes and other facts and to also give credit to the rightful person that found the information. I then usually try to make the works cited page next to make sure that I have enough sources for the assignment and to make sure that everything is organized.
After taking notes on note cards, I then start to organize the notes into an outline form. I type up the outline of the paper and research that I found. This ensures that the information is in the exact order that I want it to be in before I start to write the main essay. After final revision of the outline, I start on the major part of the research: the essay.
I write the essay to the best of my ability and then go back several times to fix the errors and other mistakes. The revision process is helpful, because it lets me add or delete information in the essay. I usually try to have someone else read the essay for peer review to find extra mistakes. After all revisions are complete, I put together the final copy and hand in the essay. This is my research and writing process for research papers. The key points keep me organized and on schedule for the research and the essay part of researching.
I would say that the most positive thing about doing research is the joy of learning new information from great sources. I like to research various topics, and I find myself happy when I find the answer or topic that I am researching. The negative part of researching is putting all of the notes and ideas together in paragraph form. This can take some time and patience. These are the things that I find positive and negative about researching.

No comments: