Sunday, March 16, 2008

Taking Care of Business

In the Humanities Based Text many issues that I knew were out there were addressed in a much more real life and down to earth sense. First off was the story that was told in Translations. I had known of the issues that took place throughout Ireland. The disputes between Ireland and England is a story that can be applied to many places. Every country at one point or another was pestered by an over baring country that bossed them around. In the sense of real life, everyone has encountered the issues of someone bullying them around. Also in the context of our class, it applied to the importance of an individuals heritage and strong sense of belonging. Ireland was being forced to give up something that made them Ireland. This made me feel differently about my own personal connection to my heritage. I always just saw my family as my family, a bunch of people who I would see a few times a year. This somewhat woke me up and saw that these people that happen to maybe look similarly to me, have the last name, and crack some of the same jokes. I saw them as me. Years and years of me. We all were related through not only science seeing our genes but the stories that all brought us here. The struggles and problems that earlier generations faced, were the same that belong to me. It was interesting to see a country who fought to keep who they were. They wouldn’t let someone else come in and tell them how to get their business done. Ireland remained Ireland through strong faith in themselves.

No comments: