Two or three years ago, a local venue in downtown Cleveland was changed from The Gund Arena to Quicken Loans Arena. “The Gund” was home to the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Cleveland Barons. It also held events such as concerts, ice skating events and any big event that was coming to Cleveland. Growing up in the city my whole life, “The Gund” was a place that I visited several times each year. As I got older, I found myself attending events there more often. When the name changed, it was like a part of my weekend life changed as well. My friends and I would constantly forget that the name had changed and would call it “The Gund”.
Soon after the name changed to Quicken Loans Arena, the signs on the highway changed. Instead of seeing Next Exit The Gund Arena we now was Quicken Loans Arena. This bothered many of my friends and I. I can remember having several discussions about how we were upset the name had changed. To this day I still find myself and others calling this local venue by its former name. When a name that you grew up with changes, it is hard to remember the new name.
Just this past winter, former Jacobs’s field was changed to Progressive field. Jacobs’s field/Progressive field is home to the Cleveland Indians. Growing up loving loving loving baseball, “The Jake” was part of my childhood. My grandfather held season tickets and I attended countless games. I knew my way from my home to “The Jake” at a young age. The excitement before each game was so great. When I heard that the name was changing I was heartbroken. Another downtown place was changing. I felt like what I knew from my childhood was no longer there.
When I attend the first game this summer, I will still call it “The Jake”. “The Jake” to me has countless memories. Those hot summer afternoons, extra inning games, firework Fridays or even the playoffs this past year. To call the home of my Indians Progressive field will be hard, just like calling “The Gund” Quicken Loans Area was. But I will still be there cheering on my Cleveland teams, even if the names I knew in my childhood are changed.
No comments:
Post a Comment