Monday, March 31, 2008

How I View Myself as a Writer

I have never thought of myself of a very good writer because I always compared myself to excellent writers in my English classes. Though I feel like I know how to write in the proper format and use correct grammar, I never believed I excelled as a writer. Throughout the course of the semester, however, I feel that I have developed my writing skills as my grades improved on each paper. I feel that the progress I made on my papers had to do with the fact that I was motivated to do better after I was disappointed with my first grade. Peer review was also helpful because I was able to see the perspectives of other classmates, which allowed me to correct any confusing sentences or errors in my papers. In addition, the free-writing we did in class helped me start each paper and, most of the time, I formed useful ideas through this exercise that I ended up using in my papers. Revisions were helpful, as well; because I was able to see the mistakes I made and was given the opportunity to correct them. I believe made me a better writer because I attempted to fix any problems with my paper, rather than accepting the grade and moving on without any attempt to fix the mistakes I made.
As a writer I see myself as someone who is able to clearly get across any point that I am trying to make, which I believe is the most important aspect of writing. The purpose of writing is to inform others of knowledge that is most likely unfamiliar to them, therefore, as a writer I see myself as someone who can educate others regarding myself and other topics that I have researched extensively. I enjoy writing papers based on research because I feel like when I write a paper based on myself, I run out of ideas and start exaggerating the truth to some extent, whereas in research paper I can use quotations and paraphrasing to get across the point I am attempting to make.
So far in my life I have used writing mainly for school purposes; however, I believe that when I graduate it is a necessary tool that I will use frequently. In almost any job, a person is required to write something. For example a resume is almost always needed for any higher level job, and therefore, writing is an important skill to complete this. Also, I am planning on majoring in marketing, therefore, it will be crucial to have writing skills in order to present ideas to companies. In addition, writing is necessary for minor things, such as writing a card or letter to someone. For many reasons, writing skills can be seen as a crucial ability in almost everyone, which is why I believe that is more than something that is just used at school.

No comments: