Monday, March 10, 2008

My Research Process

I have been assigned multiple research papers throughout my freshman year at college. After receiving my first research assignment, I remember feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, and not sure where to start. Everything was new to me, and I was not familiar with the database catalog. I ended up at the library, and I asked for help to steer me in the right direction. Over the semester I have learned that research can be bearable if one develops a strategic process.

The first step in my research process is to pick a topic. Typically, I have to narrow down a list of suggested topics for an assignment, or develop an idea of my own. This is my key starting point, for it is important to have a clearly defined topic so I can plan my research. Once I have a topic, I can begin to research with the topic as a “keyword” search.

When I begin a research paper, I analyze what sources are needed. Obviously only scholarly sources are considered credible in most cases, but I try and decide what sources I will look for. As I have learned so far, different sources are appropriate for different assignments. For example, in my nutrition class, I researched information concerning diet and exercise from a popular source, because that was the purpose of the assignment. However, in my religion class, I was asked to find scholarly articles regarding Islam policy. Therefore, my second step in my research process is to decide what type of source I will research; for example, a book, an encyclopedia, a database, etc.

The next step in my research process is to actually conduct the research. I will locate an appropriate number of resources and then read the information. I typically annotate articles so that important information is easily accessible if I need to refer back to the source. During this stage I also take notes and begin to format a works cited page so that I do not have to find the sources again later. I usually research various sources until I find a sufficient amount of information. Also, I make sure to reach at least the minimum source requirement. Next, I work the research into my paper, and I refer to it throughout my writing process.

The most negative thing about research is the amount of time it takes. Sometimes it is really difficult to find scholarly articles or appropriate information for a certain topic. I find research can be frustrating and it can be stressful. At times I have just wanted to start the paper and get it over with, but the research process would hold me back. However, I have improved my research skills and I am now able to use my time more efficiently. I am still learning how to use the library data bases, but I have become much more familiar with them.

The most positive thing about research is the wide variety of sources that are provided at the UD library. I have found most of my research for my classes at the library, and it is nice to know there are always people available to help and answer questions. I have found that receiving help saves a ton of time and it makes it easy to explore multiple sources. I think it is very beneficial that UD is part of Ohio Link. It is very convenient to receive books from other schools, if needed. In addition, research really adds a lot to a paper or presentation. It makes a student’s work more credible and interesting. I feel a paper is much more convincing when it is supported by outside sources.

No comments: