My process for the argumentative assignment was to brainstorm and then write my thesis and then find quotes or examples within the text I was arguing to keep. When I found them, I then attempted to explain why it was important for college students to read and thus to keep in the Humanities Based text. I also used an alternate resource to try to further my point and used a quote from the article that I found. I concluded my paper by summing up my major points and determined that Kozol’s piece was an important article for many reasons. When I got my paper back, however, I got many comments that stated that I didn’t address my audience enough, so this was a major issue that I fixed in my literary analysis paper. I also had comments regarding my outside source, which stated that I needed to incorporate my opinion on this source rather than just quoting what they had to say regarding East Saint Louis.
While working on my literary analysis paper I changed my process to some extent. In this paper I made it very clear who my audience was and addressed them throughout my paper. In addition I used more of my opinion to explain each quote and why Hughes’ poem is important for the students at Shakespeare City Schools to read. Overall my writing process was similar to that of my argumentative paper in that I wrote my thesis with three major topics and found lines in the poem that could be used to further explain these points. After each line I explained why it was significant to the text and concluded my paper by wrapping up my points and furthering my point to the importance of this poem to the students of Shakespeare City School student.
In the future, I think I will keep the writing process I have now. I think it is extremely effective to brainstorm and then write the thesis first and then go back and write the introduction because, for me, that is the hardest part in writing the paper. I would also continue to find examples of each of the three major topics in my thesis before I began writing my actual paper. I would also like to continue to address my audience to a great extent throughout my paper to make it clear who I am speaking to. This is something I didn’t do in my argumentative paper and it effected the overall message of my paper in a negative way. Also, the next paper that requires an outside source I plan on using this source as a way to help my explain the message I am trying to get across as opposed to directly quoting the source to prove my point. Though my writing process may not be the most efficient method to write a paper, I think it allows me to make my papers have a higher quality.
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment