I’ve grown up all my life in the same small town of New Canaan, Connecticut with the same local stores. You would think that with the two main streets that make up my downtown, people would be passing the stores and noticing the real names. For the most part, people in my town referred to the stores by their proper names, but there are a few stores that are part of the exception. One of the main stores includes a restaurant tucked away behind a street that I always referred to as Country Cupboard. Most weekends, if my mom wanted to take us kids out to eat, we would all agree to go there, simple decision. As I grew older, there was less of a desire to eat at the Country Cupboard, but we still always referred to it in that name.
As time went by, years later, I started to walk around town with my friends after school. One time, we were looking for a place to eat and were thinking about all of the places that we could go that was fast but still good. One of my friends brought up a place called Reid’s. Right when she mentioned this, my direct response was “Where? Is that in our town?” She couldn’t believe that I’ve never been there, yet alone never heard of it before. It has been around for years and was a great place to eat. When she described where it was, I slowly made the connection that what she was referring to Reid’s was the same place that I called Country Cupboard. Never looking at the sign closely enough in all the years I went there, I never realized that Country Cupboard wasn’t its true name, just one that my family and I always referred to it as. Walking into the door this time, I looked at the sign more closely and realized its real name was Reid’s Country Cupboard. It was weird that my friend and I both shortened the name. One took the first half, while the other took the second half of the name; both the same place, but completely different names. Even with different names, the restaurant still brought about the same experience for us both, the name didn’t change anything about the actual restaurant.
When I was working one day, and it was time to get lunch, my boss asked me where I wanted to order from. As I looked through the menus, I noticed a place called JP’s, unknowing of what it was. I just thought to myself, another new place in this town. Why is everything changing lately? When I asked where this new place moved into, my boss described that is a cute little place set in an alley behind Elm. Right as this second, I knew that this was the one and only Country Cupboard. A few years ago, Reid’s Country Cupboard decided to change owners, which brought about yet another name for this place to go by. Still to this day, I haven’t been able to adapt to the change and call this new place JP’s; I can’t even call it Reid’s. I have been brought up in a town that had rarely any changes in its stores and all of a sudden, stores are leaving being replaced quickly with new ones. Between my family life and being raised in this small town, I am all about tradition. I don’t really like lot of change, especially when the local stores are being replaced by chain stores like Polo Ralph Lauren. If one of our local stores stays in town, but just changes names, I will continue to call it by the old name or still have the same relations and association towards it as I did before it changed.
Monday, March 3, 2008
What's in a name?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment