Sunday, March 2, 2008

My Writing Process

For every paper there is a basic process that I go through in order to format the paper. Although every paper is slightly different, I follow nearly the same steps in completing every paper that I write. When writing the argumentative paper I had to include much of my own opinion and decide where I stood when it came to that issue. In the literary analysis I had to concentrate more on how the piece of literature was written and which parts emphasized my point of view. Even though there were differences in these writing processes of there were many similarities as well.

When writing the argumentative paper I thoroughly read through the pieces of literature that I chose to work with. This is also true about the literary analysis, but I was looking for different types of things each time. For the argumentative paper I was looking for passages from that text that emphasized my own opinion, where as when I was reading the texts for the literary analysis I was searching for the author’s beliefs and portions of the text that support their ideas. This step was the only portion of my writing process that differed between the two papers. The next step that I took was to decide what order my paper should be written in. I used this in both papers then I began to make an outline of information that I wanted to include in my paper. After getting a good idea of how I would write my paper and what information would be included I began writing. By doing a lot of work before I actually wrote my paper I was able to easily put my thoughts down on paper. The most important part of my writing process is the review step. I believe that by having someone else review my paper helps my writing tremendously. Other people can easily pick out mistakes that I have made and that I have overlooked. This final step wraps up my paper and makes it ready to turn in.

I believe that although my general writing process is the same for all papers there are some small differences depending on the type of paper that I am writing. Whether it be an argumentative paper, an informative paper or a literary analysis there are certain steps that I take every time. With only small modifications I am able to have a writing process that fits every paper that I need to write. Without these small modifications I would not be able to complete the task at hand.

No comments: