Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Curve Ball

My writing for this third paper, for the most part, remained the same. Like always, I began my writing process with an in depth brain storm. I listed all of the ideas that I could think of about the topic. After listing around ten or twelve ideas, I then moved on to grouping the ideas. My goal of grouping my ideas was to get the ideas that were similar to be in the same paragraph. This way, I would have plenty to talk about and “beef up” my supporting paragraphs. This would also provide more support and make my argument more valid. After I grouped my ideas, I then moved on to finding quotes. This is where my writing process experienced a slight change. Usually I find generic quotes and ones that are easy to find. This time, however, I searched long and hard for the quotes I was going to use. It was difficult to find the quotes I needed because the text was both short and I was unable to find quotes that directly supported my ideas. So, in order to use the quotes I found, I implied different messages that could be drawn out of them. Even though the quote did not say it, the message was there, you just had to have the right mind set and understand what the author was saying.

After I had all of my ideas organized and the quotes that I need for support, I moved on to writing my rough draft. Here I had a difficult time writing my introduction because I was unable to start with my usual story. I usually write a story that uses imagery about the topic of my paper. This is how I hook the reader and attempt to start my paper off in an interesting way. However, because I was unable to do that for this paper, I found it difficult to get my ideas flowing. By changing how I had to write this paper threw a curve ball in my direction and forced me to take a different approach. Despite the difficulties I encountered, I slowly worked through it. I was able to use just about every idea that I wrote down in my brainstorm. Because I did an in depth brainstorm and I was able to find my quotes ahead of time, I was able to breeze through my supporting paragraphs.

Following the writing of my rough draft, I moved on to myself rereading it. This was where I was able to correct all the stupid grammar errors that I failed to fix during the writing of my rough draft. After I fixed the basic grammar problems, I moved on to peer reviewing. This is where I was able to get feedback on my paper and how to improve it. After the peer review, I went to Miss Tirey to see if my paper was on the right track, and I discovered that it was. After receiving as much feedback on my paper that I could, I sat down Thursday night and made the corrections that I felt were necessary. Luckily for me, there were not too many corrections that I need to make and most of my paper passed my standards. Thus, when I finally finished making the necessary corrections, I reread my paper one last time. I was searching for any error that I could find and I was unable to. Because I could not find any errors, I felt that my paper was ready to be graded, so I printed it out one last time and turned it in the following morning.

No comments: