Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Research Process

When starting a research paper I always first write down what I already know about the topic. I make a list of facts or things related to the topic of the paper. Then I begin my research. My first step in research is going to the library. I look for books on my own through the online database and see what I can find. Then I usually ask the Liberian if there are any other books that I missed. After collecting all the books at the library I go home and take a quick look through each. Some books I usually find won’t work for the topic and I return them.

The next step that I take in research is researching my topic online. I usually research the topic on the library database. Sometimes I can find really good information here because there is a variety of information from magazines to books to online articles. Some articles will date back in older newspapers or magazines and some will be very recent. After reading both I can choose which articles will suit my paper the best and print them out. The great thing about most online articles is that they come with a link citing the source. This really helps when making the works cited page.

The third step that I take in research is making an outline for my paper. I come up with the thesis statement and the three major points of my paper. Then I outline each point into further detail. Within each point I fill in information that I have found from the books that I got at the library or online database. Then it is time to start my final step.

The final step that I take in research is writing the paper. I start writing my paper from the outline and the information that I gained from doing research. Typing the paper after already researching makes the process much easier and more efficient. I feel that I can present the information in a cleaner way and more accurate this way. After the paper is done I go back and read through the entire thing, make corrections and cite everything that needs to be cited. Then my paper is done and I turn it in!

The most positive thing about research is the knowledge that I gain. I have found in the past that doing research papers has helped me understand information in other classes as well. I really enjoy researching topics and presenting the information in my own way. The most negative thing about doing research is trying to find information. Sometimes it’s hard and I find that many authors present the same information making it hard to doing lengthy research papers. Being able to have both library resources and online databases really helps to make research not only easier but more efficient.

No comments: