Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Value of Research

Since elementary school, my teachers have made the value of research very clear. My teachers have always explained that research is something that will be used for the rest of our lives. At first, I found research to be pointless and unimportant. However, throughout the years, I have discovered the value of research. I have developed my own process for research while seeing the positive and negative aspects of doing research.
Through many lectures and workshops, I have been told that the internet is not a reputable source for research. I could not imagine how research could possibly be done without using the internet. I was introduced to encyclopedias, periodicals, and other data bases. I found it cumbersome to understand how many of these sources could possibly be used affectively. After great practice, I have become more familiar with such sources. I know understand the value of these sources. This understanding has helped me with my research process. When I am given a topic to research, I make a list of some of the things I already know about it to help lead me in the right direction. If I know nothing about the topic, I find that doing a quick internet search gives me a better understanding of what I should be looking for. This is helpful because the internet usually offers brief information; therefore, I see what might be important facts to look for. Once I have some background information, I decide where I will find the most valuable information. I may look for a book on the specific topic, or I head towards the encyclopedias or periodical database. Once I find a good source, I highlight important information. Once everything is highlighted, I take notes on what I have highlighted. I rephrase and reward what the sources says so I do not copy the text word for word in my paper or whatever I am using the research for. Once I have my information compiled, I write my paper. I include all correct information and I am sure to cite everything that needs to be cited. I then create a work cited page to give credit to the sources that gave me the information.
There are many positive outcomes of research. It helps improve my literacy of any topic. I become more aware of the topic I am researching so which gives me a broader outlook on life. Research also gives me a better understanding of the sources I am using to help me with research in the future. Correct research gives me valuable information that helps me create a positive piece of work. There are some negative aspects of research. Research can be very time consuming. It is also very difficult to find reputable sources.
As a college student, I look back on what my former teachers have taught me about research. I am very thankful for everything I have learned. I am glad I can apply such knowledge now and for the rest of my life.

No comments: