Sunday, January 20, 2008
Response
My life would be different if I had a negative view of literacy in many ways. While I still do not enjoy writing, I do like to read when not forced to for classes. For example, this past week, I became sick with the flu. My parents came to get me and bring me back to my house since I live only a twenty minute drive away. Being sick messed up when I was feeling awake and when I felt sleepy so when I awoke at two in the morning and having no cable on the television in my room, I turned to the book shelf that is in my room and found a book and began reading until I felt tired again. Also, if I had a negative view of literacy, I doubt whether I would have graduated from my high school. I come from a district where many people drop out or become pregnant and don’t graduate. If I had a negative view on literacy, I doubt whether I would have pushed myself to get into the honors courses that were offered or that I would have strived to be one of the top graduates in my class. If I didn’t do that, going to a college, let alone a private one such as The University of Dayton would have been out of the question. However, I knew that if I ever wanted to achieve the dreams that I have for myself it would require hard work and dedication. Literacy helped with this because Ohio students are required to pass the Ohio Graduation Test, and two of the five parts are reading and writing. If I had not devoted time in my studies to learn what was wanted out of me for these tests, I do not think I would have passed any of the sections as well as I did. Literacy can help in many places that you might not even think. It can help in school, from the passing of tests to graduate, to just finding the inspiration to graduate. Literacy can also help just when you are bored and looking for something quiet to do until you can fall back asleep. These are all ways literacy helped me and my life would be very different if I had a negative view on something that helped me though many things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment