There is no question that literacy varies amongst different communities. Even communication between various communities that I am a part of vary. When I am in my hometown of Spencerville, the literacy level is nowhere near the level of literacy I experience on a daily basis at college. When I am with my friends or hanging out with my family, I tend to say “wassup” or I will not finish words. For instance, I will say doin’ instead of “doing”, or nah’ instead of answering “no.” However, when I am at college in a classroom setting, the level of concentration on those minute details is vital for my learning success. The class as a whole tends to act more appropriately and read with more intent to relay the message. Literacy is a huge part of my classroom environment in every class that I am in. It is much more advanced than the literacy that I experience back home.
Literacy can also vary in terms of what culture a person is in. In third world countries, people who can read are far and few in between. Because of this barrier, it is extremely difficult to communicate through writing and almost everything has to be relayed orally. These third world countries that do not always have the benefit of schools and learning programs to further their literacy as a whole. As Americans, we try to help these countries by setting up schools and giving them aid to get on their feet because we know how important literacy is in our community.
There is a different literacy level in the sports world as well. Football, for example, requires communication skills that would not be used outside of the game. When the quarterback barks out play calls from the line of scrimmage, he is relaying the message to his teammates on what to do. For instance, when the quarterback yells “hut”, it lets everybody on his team know that it is time to move and run the play. In sports, there is very little reading that needs to be done. All of the communication comes straight from the mouth. The emphasis on literacy in sports however, is very little.
There are many communities that I have been a part of or witnessed that have different levels of literacy. Being a part of these different communities, it seems like I follow suit and begin to either raise my standards or lower my literacy according to the standards of the community that I am in. Either way that you slice it, there is always literacy in one form or another when you have a community. You cannot have one without the other because communication is what drives a community and without a certain level of literacy, communication is impossible.
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment