For this blog, I want you to think about literacy and its importance to your life. Below are two prompts, choose one and write about it.
1. What were some early experiences that you had with reading? Think about early books that you read and class experiences that you had- how did these impact your view of literacy?
2. How would your life be different if you had a negative view of literacy? Or, how would your life be different if you had a negative view of literacy?
Monday, January 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have had a positive view of literacy throughout my whole life. I enjoyed to read when I was in grade school, and I learned to love to write in middle school, and I continued to progress in both reading and writing in high school. If something would have happened to make my view of literacy negative, which could have had severe consequences on my role as a student. It could have affected my whole education.
Whenever someone has a negative view of anything, the person will dread and avoid it at all costs. When I was in grade school, I liked to read. I was not one of the kids who read constantly, all the time, all day long. I did enjoy to ready, but not to excess. Maybe this is because I also enjoyed doing other things, like playing with legos or building forts. If I had a negative view of literacy at that young age, I would have done the absolute minimum amount of reading or work that had anything to do with my literacy. The problem is that this would have caused me to stunt my growth in literacy, which is liable to have caused me to be behind from the rest of my class. Being behind in your class can cause all sorts of problems. It could cause me to have literacy even ore, and therefore never strive to get better at my reading and writing.
If I had a negative view of literacy from such an early age, then that could greatly affect how I viewed literacy for the rest of my life. High school could be greatly affected as well. In high school, there is another whole element added to literacy. Reading and writing are combined with book reports and research papers and more practical uses for literacy start to come in handy when assignments start to roll around. If these skills, on how to write and talk correctly, are not developed this can cause several problems when going to write the essays assigned.
Even entering college, it is important to have a positive view of literacy. It makes the work that needs to be done much easier to do when the person is in a good mood. There have been times in the first semester of college where I had about three papers to write in a very short period of time. The assignments were not that hard, because I was used to writing papers quickly and efficiently, and I enjoyed doing them. So, when things become down to the wire, having a positive view of literacy can help work through those assignments and actually do well on them.
And the transition between college and the workforce also requires a positive view of literacy. Employers really look for applicants who can speak professionally and write clearly with good grammar. If there is something that is keeping from you from excelling in how literate you are, then that will affect how successful you will be in the future.
Literacy has such an important and vital role in our lives, that it would make things much more difficult if I had a negative view on it. With the knowledge of how crucial it is to be skilled in writing, reading, and speaking, it is hard to ignore the fact that literacy is a positive thing.
Post a Comment