Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Literacy Communities

As the question states, we are all a part of so many communities. One of the main communities I am involved in includes my classes. Obviously an individual has to be literate to be taking classes, otherwise what is the point? This semester I am taking English, philosophy, mathematics, and media writing. All of these classes require the use of literacy whether reading, writing, speaking, or even listening.
English is one of the major classes that require rules for literacy. You have to listen before you can read, then once you read then you can write, and after you write you can then speak if in a public speaking situation. English requires rules for grammar, formal language, and writing skills in general. There is no way to ever pass an English class if an individual does not have these key skills. So, if a person is planning on taking an English class, they must learn the rules of grammar and skills for writing if they have any desire to pass, otherwise it would just be a waste of time.
Philosophy is one of the most complicated subjects I have ever encountered. I think the main literacy concept an individual must grasp to pass a class like philosophy would be to read. Reading is the key element to philosophy, because if an individual can read then he or she can ask questions that can further his or her understanding or clear up a misunderstanding. Philosophy is something a person must be passionate about to understand, so there goes about half of the students who are taking philosophy classes today. No matter how interesting it may be, philosophy is a treacherous subject to understand, and personally, I do not see any reason for needing to find a meaning to everything and it just confuses me. The funny part is, I do not become confused because I am not literate enough to understand, but because it is just hard to comprehend.
Mathematics will most likely be the death of me in my education. I have never been good at math; never have really been able to understand it most likely due to my disinterest. I have the worst outlook on things when dealing with math, which causes me to not excel grade wise. I would say writing and listening are the two key literacy tools needed to get by in a math class. Writing sparks memorization, and I know after I practice a problem a million times I can definitely grasp the concept better. Also, listening in class is beneficial. I would be so lost in math if I did not pay attention and listen.
Media Writing is a lot like English, you have to understand the rules of grammar before you can even begin. Media Writing requires interviews, article writing, and writing in all forms. To ace the literacy requirements you must know how to talk with people, know the right questions to ask, and know how put the speaking in words.

Every class that I am taking requires different literacy rules. I feel that I have been successful with the rules that I have mastered and I continue to take the opportunity to learn more.

No comments: