Hi, my name is CeCe. I am nine... no wait... I am seven. I live in East St. Louis with my mom. We don’t have no home. Those mean people made us move out of our house. We sleep wherever we can find room. Some nites it is the park, others in an alley. I like sleeping in the alley better because the parks smell so bad. I can barely breathe. I always have to put my hand over nose. Besides the bad smells, my mom said that there is bad stuff in the dirt and ground. So, she makes me sleep on a big coat.
I am not sure who is reading this as I am writing this on a piece of paper I found in the trash and I put it in the bottle. I put the bottle in the big river. I don’t know its name. They haven’t taught us nottin like that in school. I go to East St. Louis Elementary. My teacher name is Miss. Kelly. She is nice. I like the book that we are reading in class. I wish that I could have my own book. It is hard to see the pictures and words from where I sit. There is only one book for the hole class.
After we read the book, we practice our writin. We only get to do this a couple time a week as there is no paper for us to do it every day. I think that I am doing good with this letter, but I don’t know. Im sry if it is bad, im just doing my best. I like learning, but because the schools are so warm and the low amount of books and paper I do not get to learn a lot. I also wish that I could tell time and learn more about history.
I do not know who you are or where you live. When you get this letter, please come to East St. Louis to help my mom and I get out of here. I need your help, you’re my only hope! Many people don’t get out of here because they don’t know how to read or write. They don’t care nothin about school. I fear that I will feel this way if I grow up here in East St. Louis. My mom says that learning how to read and write, going to school, and working hard is my only way out of here.
My mom has gone to school and has lived in East St. Louis her hole life. She knows that someone can make it out of here with a good education because she went to school with a boy that went to some school called MIT. My mom says that it is a nice school.
If you do come here please do not be afraid. I know it looks really scary but I need your help. You should come in the daytime so that a cab will take you here.
I know that you may be thinking that you will not know who I am if you come here. I have brown eyes and brown hair. Many people here do have brown eyes and brown hair. But, you will know that it is me because you will be able to tell by the look in my eyes. My mom says that I have a look of faith and hope.
You don’t know me right now, but you could be my angel. You can save me from the way of life that is here in East St. Louis. You can make a difference.
Your friend,
CeCe
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really like the way that you wrote this as a message in a bottle, it shows the desperation that I believe the kids actually felt.
I also liked the idea of a message in a bottle; it was very creative. Some of the smaller details incorporated were also interesting, such as the cab during the day. Good job!
Post a Comment