Friday, January 25, 2008

1st Blog - Negative View of Literacy

What would it be like to have a negative view of literacy? Personally, I would never like to find out. From the time I was able to read and correctly string together sentences, literacy has been a big part of my learning career. However, if I had a negative view of literacy and I did not embrace reading and writing, things would be so much different.
There is this one author who is my favorite author of all time. Clive Cussler has published over twenty different novels throughout his career. His series captures the heroic and thrilling tales of Dirk Pitt. This is a character that I have followed for the past 6 years and I would not know what to read if literacy was no longer important to me. Literacy had allowed me to read these great pieces of work and I would not want to lose that. Reading a book is like watching a really good movie with more detail. I could watch a movie that was based off a book if I was so inclined, but I would much rather read the book. A book has so much more detail and the characters are developed many times over what they are in a movie. Without literacy, I could not enjoy reading a good book. I could not find myself lost in the pages and unable to put the book down because the story is too good. I would lose all this if I had a negative outlook on literacy. I would peel away from books and not take any joy in them. That would be the real shame.
Another thing that a positive outlook on literacy has given me is my want to learn and to be educated. If I had a negative view of literacy, there would be no way anyone would find me anywhere near a college. My life would be drastically different. A higher pay grade above minimum wage would not be on the horizon for me. Just like that, a negative view of literacy would give me no means to escape a next to poverty level. Dreams of being able to buy a brand new car or have a larger than life house go right down the drain. Without literacy, education would be impossible and without education, great success would be impossible. It becomes a chain reaction that will not let me succeed.
So, all in all, a negative view of literacy would have a profound impact on my life. My life as I know it would cease to exist and a college degree would not be in my near future. A negative view of literacy would be a shame and I know that will never be the case for me.

No comments: