Over the last 19 years that I have been alive, I have experienced many different forms of literacy throughout my community. There are many different examples of communities in which I could belong to, such as school, family and friends. Each different type of community has set rules for literacy and other ways to become literate with a form of communication.
One community in which I was a part of was in high school and I played volleyball. For this community, it is necessary to learn how to communicate with not only the team, but also the coaches. An example of the communication that takes place in volleyball would be out on the court and being able to call the ball to save a play. Many times a few girls would run to the ball and then it would just drop. The coaches would also give us positive and negative feedback in which we would take in and try to correct if something was done wrong. In order to become literate through volleyball, we had to pay attention to what the coach was saying and follow directions to see what position each of us would play.
Another community that I am a part of is the school community. This is pretty essential to be a part of because going to school day in and day out; there are many experiences in which one has to learn to be literate. It is important to be literate in a school community, because one has to know how to talk to the teachers, administrators and any other form of faculty at each of the schools: elementary, middle and high school. The communication varies from a student talking to a teacher and a student talking to another student. Whoever a person is talking to, it is crucial that they pay attention to what is being said and process information back to them. Just by gaining at better understanding of the information that is being told from a teacher and discussing it is going to help expand literacy within a school.
Lastly, my friends and family have had a major impact on my life. In high school, I always had a big group of friends and it sort of continued with me throughout my first year of college. In college, we have to learn to be away from home and become a better individual. I am still able to communicate with many of my friends that I had in high school, even though they are at different schools. On a normal basis, I talk to my parents and have a decent conversation with them. About every other day, I call my grandparents and talk to them to see what they have been doing. How I communicate with them and my own parents are at about the same literacy level. However, talking with my friends I still am able to talk to them with an adult-like tone, but sometimes we might talk about things and get a little out of hand with our literacy. Even in college, the conversations that are talked about could relate to current events that are happening in the news and so that level of literacy is going to be stronger than talking to friends about what celebrity is hotter. This type of community has many different types of literacy within, but being able to communicate to friends and family will carry on throughout the rest of our lives and is essential to have. Even in the future, I know I will be working in a career where I will have to obtain a relationship with my students and still be able to have that same literacy, but use it at a different level with them.
Literacy is a part of everyone’s lives and can be used in many different ways. It is essential to being able to relate to other people and hold a conversation with them. Each community is different because we are able to show emotions and different feelings that can make a difference in the conversation that is going on. Literacy is important in all different types of communities and for each one it holds a different way in which people communicate with one another. Volleyball, being in school and family are all important communities that I have belonged in throughout my life and realize what each one has to offer and its different forms of literacy. Literacy is so important and crucial in today’s society, because many people have a need of communication and getting through to another person. Without literacy, there would be no way to communicate with other people and no one would understand how to be literate.
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment