Sunday, January 20, 2008

Having a Negative View of Literacy

If I had a negative view of literacy, I believe my life would be completely different. I would not want to read anything whatsoever. Although at a period of time in my life, I did have somewhat of a negative view towards my own literacy level. I avoided reading at almost all costs. I did not want anything to do with reading. I would even delay my reading homework until the last possible minute. I was certain that I could make it through my life without having to actually read anything. But little did I know that reading would play a very important role in our society.

By having a negative view towards literacy, I would not have received a descent high school education and would not be attending college. I would be working at some job that does not require much of an education, if any at all. To me, being able to read and write was not imperative. I did not think about how many different things involved reading. I would not be able to drive because would not be able to read the road signs that tell street names or highway exits. I would not be able to read a map to find out where I am or where I need to be going.

An important part of literacy is communication. It is vital to be able to communicate well with our peers. Being able to express our thoughts in writing is critical for others to be able to comprehend. Newspapers could not be read or even written without descent literary involvement. If a sporting event was missed, information could not be given unless an eyewitness verbally explained what went on. Our society would be completely different if literacy was only an option and not a priority.

With having a negative view of my own literacy, I would not know about different things that are taking place in other parts of the world. I would not read magazines that contained current event articles. Political issues would not be a concern to me. I wouldn’t care about school Levis or funding concerns. I would not be a very helpful citizen in our society.

Being a literate person, you are able to contribute so much to society. You are able to write opinions on certain topics in the local newspaper. You can be productive by doing specific jobs that require a certain level of intelligence, literacy, and training. You have the option to be aware of foreign affairs and to even be involved in political issues. By being literate, your communication skills are constantly improving. We are able to relate to each other by words, both written and verbal. We are capable of understanding each other on a common level where we can understand each other. Anything that can influence the expansion of our literacy, such as books, newspapers, and other materials, can only be seen as a good thing.

No comments: