Some early experiences that I had with reading included: reading camps, trips to the library, and bedtime stories all have impacted my view that literacy is important in many positive aspects.
During the summers, when we were young, my younger brother and I would attend reading camps at the local library. Each week, we had to read a certain amount of books, and when the next week came we would get stickers if we read those books. When we were at the camp, we would sit on a carpet square and listen to an adult read a book. In addition, there was snack time as well as time to play outside and participate in activities that related to the book. These camps were fun, especially because friends and neighbors were there too! I believe that this experience had a positive effect on my literacy because I was encouraged to read and participated in activities that allowed me to get involved with the book.
In addition, besides the camps, my mom would regularly take my brother and I to the local library to check out books to read. I can remember checking out American Girl Doll books (just Felicity books, because that was the American Girl Doll that I had), Full House Books (one of my favorite television shows, Junie B. Jones books, and Cam Jansen mystery books. I realize now, as I am typing this blog, that I mainly tended to check out books that were a part of a series. I believe that the reasoning behind this was, when a book was a part of a series, I was able to get into the book more, as I felt like I knew the characters better, and even like I was a part of the book.
The library, also, had these kits that you could check out. In the kits, there was a book, stuffed animal, cassette tape, etc. My favorite kit to check out was the monkey kit. I thought that the stuffed animal was so adorable; I wanted to keep it so bad! The book that went with the monkey kit was Curious George! I think that these kits enhanced my literacy, because I could read along with the cassette tapes and expand my vocabulary.
In addition to the library, bedtime stories also help me learn to read and showed me how important literacy is in life. My parents would read a story to me every night when I was young, some of my favorites were: Caps for Sale, The Little Engine That Could, Goodnight Moon, Love You Forever, Bernstein Bears, Barney Wigglesworth and the Birthday Surprise, and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Reading with my parents every night is what probably contributed most to how I view literacy because when we are young, we look to our parents for guidance and encouragement. My parents’ value of education is high and they always encouraged me to pick up a book and to read it.
As I have grown up, I have noticed that I read for fun less and less. This is due to various reasons such as school, sports, and spending time with friends. Some books that I read in high school that I really enjoyed were: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and The Villa by Nora Roberts.
I would love to read a book for fun, I just do not know of any great books out there. I love romantic murder mysteries. If anyone knows of a great book that I should read, even if it is not a romantic murder mystery, please let me know! Thanks!
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment