Thursday, January 17, 2008

Literacy And What It Means To Me

Early on in my life, I enjoyed reading and had a lot of fun reading many different books. In pre-school, in the early afternoon, we all sat in a circle around the teacher and she would read to us for as long as we stayed awake, then she would let us sleep until our parents came to pick us up. Throughout, my early years my parents and I would read together little stories to help me begin to learn how to read. Any parents that help their kids learn to read have to be very patient individuals. All through elementary school we would always have class readings where everyone would read a page and then we would keep going until we were finished with allotted time. Also, all through my school years, there was always the “popcorn” reading, where a person would read however much they wanted to read and then say popcorn followed by the person’s name they want to read next. I always enjoyed this type of reading in class; however it was hard to get a good flow going and to fully understand the reading. Through high school I never really got into any good novels or any series like Lord of the Rings, or anything like that because I did not have time because of soccer and other activities, and to be honest I never really liked to read, nor do I now. Some books I can get into, however others that I have been made to read in school have been horrible to read.
My sister and I would sit on my couch every night and read books. At first she would read to me and then she would try and get to me read with her and I would struggle and get so frustrated I would go watch television. She was always smarter than me and a better reader, so earlier in my life I would always try to better her with everything I did; however my efforts were not rewarded. She continues to excel in college and has obtained straight A’s thus far. I do think that me being in competition with her helped me to read more and to try and better myself. If I had to do it all over again, I would have let my sister help me more when I was younger so I would be a stronger reader now.
Throughout my high school years, I have always been interested in just jotting down my feelings and trying to make poems and little so called “journal entries” here and there, where I would just write down my feelings to get them out so to say. For the most part, if I get a topic I like to talk about, I love to write and express my feeling; however I know I am not that great at it but I still like to do it on occasion. Unless I am passionate about a topic, I usually get writers block where I cannot think of stuff to say and end up repeating myself, creating a bad paper. Nevertheless, I still do enjoy writing poem and papers, as long as I get a good topic to write on.

No comments: