I would have to say that living life illiterate would be one of the hardest limitations to overcome. However, in everybody’s quest to become literate, they have to enjoy it along the way. I remember the biggest influence on my love for reading came at a younger age. Reading book after book about my favorite cartoons and comic book characters was a daily ritual for me, especially before I got to grade school. I can remember when I was in kindergarten and I would think to myself during school about how I could not wait to go home and read some of my favorite books about the X-Men. Comics were a huge factor in what was good about childhood. You could become enthralled in a story while still practicing up on your skills of reading. The great thing about it was that I had no idea just how important my leisure time of reading comics was to my development of literacy skills and how that would help me elevate my skills to the next step. Also, when I began being able to read comics, I then started to read picture books about my favorite sport, basketball. I began to learn about my favorite players and their backgrounds. It was through reading that gave me such a positive outlook about basketball. In a way, without reading, I may not have had as much a love for the game of basketball as I do today. Thus, maybe I might not have practiced it as much and never been in the situation that I am in today. Reading does contribute to your social life and most of people’s interests. It also contributes to every job that people aspire to get.
On the negative side of things, when I began reading chapter books, I really had a negative outlook on reading and literacy in general. I viewed reading as a chore now rather than before when I thought of reading as a fun activity. I have only read a couple of books from cover to cover. I just have never liked reading ever since the books that were assigned in school were long and watered down in the content in them. There was a couple of books that I enjoyed reading, however, most of the books that I had to read throughout high school were boring books with a long, pointless storyline. It seemed like I was forced to read a book that I never enjoyed because it didn’t stop at just the book. There were always quizzes and tests and projects due along with your reading. This really gave me the most negative outlook on literacy.
Monday, January 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment