When I was younger, I loved books. It didn’t matter if one of parents was reading, I was reading, or if I was just looking at the pictures in the book. I always had a book with me no matter where I was or where I was going. Being one of the last kids to learn how to read in my kindergarten class, I often became very frustrated with myself and those who were trying to help me. And although my parents did encourage me to keep trying, they did not set a very good example for me. Neither of them read unless they were reading to me or my little sister. This made me become even more frustrated. I was determined to learn how to read and be able to read as much as possible. I read whenever I got a chance until I was in fifth grade. I overheard one of my classmates making fun of how much I read. After hearing that, I slowly began to stop reading. I avoided reading as much as I could without letting my grades drop too much.
This phase lasted until the middle of my junior year when a very close friend of my recommended that I read a book that she had just finished. I took her advice and thus began my journey back into the world of reading. I became so wrapped up in this book that I finished it in five days. This was impressive because at this time during the school year, my life consisted of basketball games and practices, homework, and sleep. After I finished that book, I started to read whenever I had a chance to. It was not as easy to read as it was a few years ago because of my busy schedule, but I finally began to enjoy reading again.
Since I rediscovered my love for reading, my life has changed for the better. I was able to experience the feeling of being able leave this world and enter into a place where nothing bad could happen to me and no problems would affect the outcome of the story. When I would become stressed out with school or sports or even my friends and family, I would lock myself in my bedroom, grab a book, and just read for hours on end. I find it to be a great stress reliever for me.
I must admit that my literary experience has had numerous ups and down. If I were to write an autobiography, it would be full of drama, conflict, and even a small bit of humor. Even though I did not have as much encouragement as I would have liked, I made it through many rough patches in my literary experience and I’m sure that reading will remain a very essential part of my life. With hopes of becoming a teacher, I will be able to encourage my students to have a positive view towards their literary journey and hopefully inspire them to keep that frame of mind for the rest of their lives.
Friday, January 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment