Sunday, January 20, 2008

negative view of literacy

If I had a completely negative view of literacy my outlook on life would be much different than what it is today. I would dread anytime I was forced to do a reading assignment. My negative outlook would influence me to not complete or put off reading that would be important to my education. Avoiding reading could lead to greater problems the later people get in life. A negative outlook on literacy would only cause a more difficult time in life with a future career.
I have not always had a positive lookout on literacy but I have always realized its importance in society. Although reading is not one my favorite things to do, I push myself to read as often as I can because literacy is a helpful tool in life. No matter what I do in my life I know that reading and understanding will be beneficial to me. If I had let a negative view of literacy influence me early in my life I may not have received the education I already have today. A negative view would make any type of school work more difficult to understand. If high school would have been more difficult I may not have gone to college and had to go straight into finding a job. Finding a well paying job with only a high school education would be a tough thing to do.
Although I may not have always enjoyed reading, I have always known its importance. Reading is used in so many different ways that many people often take it for granted. We do not realize that reading allows us to do some of the most simple and common, everyday things. Even a basic understanding of letters and words is better than knowing nothing at all or not using what you may have already known.
An illiterate person would be lost in the world today. Without being able to read, they would never know any current events. Newspapers and magazines are a vital part of the world today to keep up on everything that may be happening. Although television makes it much easier for an illiterate person to get facts there are still many things that a person may miss that appear in reading materials.

No comments: