There are many communities that I have and will belong to during my life. However, during the time when I am not at school, the community that I spend the most time with is my work which would be Unit 519 of the Bob Evan’s in Huber Heights Ohio. This can be a challenging community in that we get many different types of people coming in and working there. When you work as a server you have to deal with all of the people that come in and also the people that work there.
This can be very challenging in that while people are speaking to you, you have to write down all that they are saying and all the special things that they want done with their order while trying to put it in as few words and as simple as possible so that the cooks can know what exactly you want without having to call you over to ask you. All of this is done while running around trying to get everything that is needed before the food comes up.
This has shaped the way I think about literacy in that I personally believe now in saying things in as few words as possible, and I like to do everything as fast as I can. Also it has helped me to learn how to talk and write something completely different from what I’m saying and this helps me during school in that I can write what the teacher has said and also keep track of the conversation that’s continuing while I am writing.
Being a waitress and dealing with all these situations has also taught me how to use abbreviations to help me write everything as fast as I can. This transfers over to other aspects of my life also in that I make up my own shortcuts for when I am writing things that are just for me to read in order to write faster and to keep up with what is being said.
The community at Bob Evan’s has shaped my literacy and how I think of it in many ways. I wouldn’t trade my knowledge that I have gained there for anything because it has helped me tremendously with all different parts of my life.
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment