Saturday, January 26, 2008

Literature in My Community

Throughout my life I have been apart of many different communities such as; my family, friends, school, sports teams, and the floor I currently live on. Each group expresses literature in their own ways. When we read the text by Heath I realized how each community has its own way of doing things when it comes to literature. Their way of literacy was speaking orally to each other other than practicing literacy through reading and writing. It is hard to picture my life without having to read a book for a certain class or doing a writing assignment in one of our literature books.
In the community of Trackton all that was required of the students during school was to be able to speak orally to each other. They were not forced to do homework that required reading a book to review the next day in class or even writing a short summary of what they have read. To me Trackton is a completely different world. Growing up in my hometown of Fort Recovery, I began reading and writing as soon as I entered Kindergarten or even before. My mom would spend time with me every day and would help me with my reading and writing skills. I had my own writing notebook where I continually wrote down the alphabet and my name. We would then get out the "Hooked on Phonics" games and played for at least a half hour. All of this practicing was just to get me ready for school which is why it seems awkward that other communities do not even practice reading or writing.
Being able to read and write became a really important aspect of my life. I was required to read and write many essays throughout all of grade school and high school. I had reading assignments every day and along with those reading assignments I would also have writing assignments to go along with the readings. Not only was the reading and writing important but also being able to speak orally to each other and in front of the class. There were certain classes in school where we had to give a presentation to the class. Doing this helped us to be able to speak properly in front of a group of people.
Overall I can definately say that the community that I grew up in is completely different than Trackton. Throughout my life I was pushed to become literate in reading, writing, and orally, whereas in Trackton, they only pushed being orally literate. It is humerous in a way that the people of Trackton thought it was antisocial to read and practice writing when I grew up with people encouraging me to read and write everyday.

No comments: