Sunday, April 6, 2008

Writing Is Some Kinda Important

Writing to me has not changed over the course of this year. Yes I feel that I'm a little more in tune to what a teacher may want to see on a paper as opposed to a different teacher but other than that I do not view writing any differently. With that said it does not necessarily mean that I do not treasure and value writing. I regard writing as one of the best ways to not only learn but speak a student’s mind. I feel that it’s the best way to measure if a student really gets what’s going on and in the process they will learn something. As opposed to tests where many students can literally regurgitate the information they have been taught in between the past test and upcoming one, writing forces an individual to know what they are talking about. To write, especially in the research sense, research and knowledge must be found on the topic. This is a form of learning in itself and, for me at least, it’s the more appealing way to learn. I would rather learn things that pertain to a class or a topic that is being discussed but in the context of things that appeal to me. For example this research paper is on the topic of literacy and what we discussed throughout the year, and personally to me I do not find much of a connection to that topic. Now since the research paper forces us to make the connection within something that appeals to everyone personally I feel I’m getting a great deal more out of it. For instance I’m applying the concept of literacy discussed in our class to the literacy problems that the world faces now and more precisely the United Nations which I have a big interest in. I feel I’m learning much more writing and applying something like that to something I feel is meaningful and speaks to me. This comes into the situation where writing comes into play outside the classroom. Without the skills of writing you really could not have a complete grasp upon what you would want to do in the future. It is a tool that holds so much underestimated power it’s unbelievable. Writing comes into a great deal outside of school whether it is working a summer job to wanting to expand your horizons. Everything branches off of writing and it is greatly underappreciated.

No comments: