Saturday, April 5, 2008

Education

My personal views on education are that it is an important part of leading a successful and fulfilling life. It provides the foundation by which a person interacts with society through careers and everyday life. An education brings opportunities, especially in areas concerning money and jobs. As a college student, I view education as a path to a future job in a field that I am interested in. It also gives me valuable knowledge about how the world around me works. It does this in part through helping with basic skills such as reading and writing. I have found that even though I am literate, college has forced me to strengthen both my reading and writing skills. This is important because I will be using these in everyday life for the rest of my life.

My parents have instilled a strong sense of the importance of education in me. They have both emphasized that having a good education will lead to many opportunities and allow me to set high expectations and goals that are quite achievable. An education will allow me to accomplish tasks that set my mind to.

Society views education in much the same way as I do when it comes to jobs. Companies want employees that are well-prepared to work in a specific field. People do this by going to college and receiving a degree that they are interest in. In today’s demanding world, it is becoming more and more common for people to go to college to get degrees. Companies will not usually hire people with anything less than a college degree. People with college degrees see much higher salaries than people that did not go to college.

I think society can send a negative view of education though. Most people that graduate from high school and go to college end up staying in school for a very long time. Most of the effort that is put into this long duration of education is concentrated on the sole purpose of getting a job. Not enough emphasis is placed on using education in everyday life. Education can take place outside of the classroom, but skills learned in this manner seem to be dismissed by society as being trivial.

No comments: