I have always seen myself as a somewhat above average writer. Throughout high school, I always did very well in my English classes when compared to the other courses and got the highest grade possible on the writing portion of the ACT, however, I always had to work on it. In high school, I always dreaded writing papers because it would always take me a very long time to come up with ideas and figure out how to organize these ideas into a logical way that made sense. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that in high school, I rarely did any prewriting before attempting to write a paper, but the different ways of prewriting that I have learned in this class were very beneficial and I am sure that I will continue to use them throughout my educational experience.
My senior year, I had a very tough English teacher who had extremely high expectations. When I first entered the class I was so nervous because I had very little confidence in my writing, but after completing the class, and excelling compared to the rest of the students in the class, I then had the confidence and knowledge that I needed to improve my writing, which has contributed to my accomplishments and writer that I am today.
The English 102 course has also made me a better writer and I enjoyed writing the different types of papers, with prompts that were very different to papers I had previously written. The main thing that I have taken from this course that has improved my writing is to always relate to the audience and refer back to the thesis. I was also previously taught that to not include my own opinion, because it makes the statements and ideas less credible, since I am obviously not an expert in any field of study, however, in this class, on nearly all of my papers I was told to include my own opinion and argument.
I see writing as a necessary skill in life that I will continue to use throughout my life. Being able to write in a way that makes sense and accurately portrays what you are trying to get across, is absolutely essential in succeeding in life and being successful. Because of this, I plan to continue improving my writing and skills as a writer so that I am able to be successful in whatever I end up doing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment