Thursday, April 3, 2008

My View On Writing

As a writer, I would say that I know enough to write decent papers and get whatever my point is across to my reader. The English teachers that I had in junior high and high school were very adamant about being able to write effectively. My English teacher in junior high was focused more on the structures of sentences and the grammar aspect of English, where as my high school English teacher was more about literature and making sure that we knew how to write papers that would be acceptable at the college level. Through their persistence and encouragement, I’ve come to understand the different aspects of writing as well as found enjoyment in the different styles of writing that they taught me.

The way that I see it, writing is more than something you do more than just when you are in school. It is a form of communication that everyone should know how to use effectively. It allows people to express their feelings, emotions, and ideas with other people. It is one of the most valuable abilities that one is able to pick up during their school-age years. Most people use their writing skills every day without even putting much thought into it. They don’t even have to think about it at all.

Writing can also be a nice form of stress relief and relaxation. One is able to express their feelings and emotions in any way, shape, or form they would like. Some people may be willing to share their work with their peers, while others would rather keep their work to themselves. It can serve as an aid in remembering the past. It preserves our history and allows those in the future to have an insight as to what happened before their time.

One thing that I’ve learned from taking English 102 is how to write different types of papers. In high school, I only had to write papers that were based on my interpretation and how I understood a certain topic. I never had to break down stories that were read or even address issues that were facing the nation at that time. My teacher was more concerned with the mechanics of the paper rather than the content. Most of the work that we had for that class was writing an interpretation of a story or poem that we read in class. It’s been strange getting used to the different types of papers and all of the different steps we took to reach the final products. The different activities we used in class before we would start a paper really helped me to understand that there is more than one way to brainstorm ideas. I’m sure that these different concepts will help me in the next three years of my college journey with the countless papers that I will have to write.

No comments: