As a writer I have always thought that I was okay. I have never thought that I was a really amazing writer, but I feel that I grown to able to write a decent piece of writing. I think the first time I was actually challenged as a writer was in my eighth grade English class. My teacher was very big on doing revisions after writing the final piece. In that class we also did peer review; she call the revision process “The Wash.” Every time that we wrote a paper, we had to put it through “the wash.” She had very strict rules about our papers with what could and what could not be in them along with grammar and word choice. Back then, I always thought that it was a huge pain in the butt with the revising and revisions that we had to do on our papers. But, once I entered into high school I ended up being thankful that I was in her class. That English class prepared me so well for what was to come in all my future English classes, including the two I have taken in college. After having been in high school for two years, I went back to visit my middle school teachers and the first thing I said when I saw my eighth grade English teacher was “Thank you!” I told her how well prepared I was for my English classes and how the classes were not that challenging because of how she prepared me while I was in her class. That being said I think that it is important to learn good writing skills because writing is something that everyone has to use sometime in their lives.
I think that writing is an important skill that all people should have. I do think while you’re growing up it is most commonly used in schooling, because that is where you are taught all about writing, but once you get older it is a skill used in many careers and often used in day to day life. If writing was not that important, than students would not be placed in an English class every year in order to build upon their understanding of writing. Without the proper writing skills, one will not be able to do many things in life. Once you are out in the corporate world, writing becomes very important. Employees need to write things such as business reports, cover letters, resumes, and papers. Without the proper writing skills, things such as these are not that easy. More often than not, employers are looking for someone who is capable of doing such things with no problem.
So I do not think that writing is a skill that is only used while in school. In the beginning, school is probably the primary place that writing is used, but the older you get the more writing becomes a part of your life. This all comes back to what this English class has talked about all semester which is literacy. Having the proper writing skills is important because in today’s society being literate, in many cases, means being able to write. Being able to speak and write properly are the two main things that it takes to be literate. Writing and speaking properly are two skills that are improved the more and more you practice and use them.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment