Writing is such a crucial skill to possess. I feel as if everything people do in life revolves around writing somehow. Whether it is as simple as writing a grocery list, writing a memo to a co worker, writing an email, writing a letter to an old friend or composing a paper for class, writing is a necessary skill. I have seen my writing skills blossom over the years from when I first learned how to write simple 3 word sentences to now writing complex college level essays. I used to see writing as a boring task that needed to be done in order to succeed in school, but now I see it as a beneficial skill to have.
I feel as if my writing has gotten a lot better over the years as my vocabulary grew and my spelling got better. I used to hate writing, because I had a lot of difficulties with spelling and I would always get so frustrated when trying to write and I constantly worried if my spelling was correct. But, over the years I have noticed my spelling getting a lot better and I feel as if that is one of the reasons I do not dislike writing as much as I used to.
I also think that my writing has improved and is no longer such a hard task for me, because over the years I started to become more into reading. When I was younger I enjoyed being read to, but never liked to read unless there was some sort of incentive involved. In my high school AP English and Literature classes we had to read some strenuous and wordy books and I think that those books improved my literacy and shaped my writing skills. I feel that through my improved spelling and having to read intellectually challenging books my writing has improved and I now consider myself a pretty good writer.
I think that writing will get me far in life. In my Media Writing class the other day we had a guest speaker who told us that if a person can write well they can succeed in just about any job field there is. I feel that this is incredibly true. I feel like more and more people now in days lack good writing skills and if a person knows how to write then they will advance in society. I see writing as very important in everyday activities; whether I am writing a paper for class, writing and email to my boss at work or just taking notes in class, I feel as if writing is not only important for English class, but important all the time.
Writing is not only for school; writing can also advance a person in society. With more and more people turning to technology such as cell phones and text messages to communicate with one another, when they need to actually communicate with someone via email or hand written note, they lack the proper writing skills to clearly convey a message. I may still complain when have been assigned a paper, but I know that through all these papers I have to write while in college, I am getting ahead of the people who lack good writing skills and will be able to excel in the real world.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment