Friday, April 4, 2008

Writing is a lifelong skill

I view myself as a strong and creative writer. Whenever I sit down to write, I take my time and reflect. In addition, the more that I write, the more ideas come to me; and generally, the ideas are better as I continue to write. After I finish my writing, I am always amazed at some of the thoughts and ideas that are on my paper. They seem more in depth than I would have thought that I could have written.
I feel that as a writer I continue to grow and improve with every paper that I write. These changes can include improvements on: citation, creativity, organization, structure, grammar, and content. In addition, I may improve on more than one with each paper. By continually improving on my writing skills, I am demonstrating my strength as a writer because I am never settling for my current skills; I know that I can always do better.
As I am always improving my writing, I therefore feel that writing is a skill. We are not born as excellent writers. It is a skill that we work on our whole lives and continuously work to improve.
It may seem as though we only use writing in school, as we are college students. However, we will use our writing skills well throughout our lives. This may seem hard to imagine with all of the technology we have, but we still do use our writing skills. Some ways that we use our writing skills are: writing cards, thank you notes, announcements, letters, signing papers and checks, making signs, posters, and writing lists.
Another reason why writing is an important skill is because it improves our communication skills. For many people they have trouble expressing themselves verbally, but are able to express themselves through their writing. Therefore with the new forms of technology, we have more and more opportunities to write and express ourselves. We can express ourselves with the good old fashioned pencil and paper, Microsoft word, text messaging, emails etc.
Writing is one of the few skills that we learn from a young age, use every day, and will we use for many years to come. We may use it a lot in school, but it is a skill that we use, more importantly, in life.
For me personally, writing is an important skill in life because that is the way that I communicate to family members that live far away. In addition, while my grandparents do try to keep up with the technology, I still communicate with them through letters. If I had not continually improved my writing skills, then I would not be able to communicate and write to my grandparents as effectively.
In addition, I am an early childhood education major. Therefore, I think that writing is vital to a student’s education and it is a skill that I am going to work with my future student’s on a lot.
Finally, as I view writing as a lifelong skill, I will continue to practice and improve with every paper and every day.

No comments: