Friday, April 4, 2008

As a witer

I see myself as a good writer who is able to formulate thoughts in a clear paper. Writing has always been challenging, but I have been able to succeed in it. I have never really liked English, but I have enjoyed writing indirectly. Unlike most of my classmates, I do not mind writing papers most of the time, especially if the topic is something I am interested in. I see writing as essential to my career, education, and thought process.
My major is mechanical engineering and maybe a minor in religious studies. Writing is immensely important in these fields. As an engineer, I need to be able to convey my thoughts to my client or to my company about my design. Engineering writing has to be very clear because thing can quickly become complicated when discussing design processes. Engineers are not known for their writing skills, but there is a misconception there. Engineers must know how to write, at least about their field. In other words, they must be aware of their literacy in engineering and be able to clearly process their thoughts in words. My Design professor this last semester kept telling us that if it was not written down, then it never happened. He emphasized the importance of reports to the engineering process.
I use writing in every one of my classes. Like I said before, even in my engineering classes, writing is a essential part. It is important to me that I know how to write well so that I can really get the best out of every one of my classes. I don’t want to just float through my classes here at the University of Dayton; I want to really get a rich educational experience. The only way I can do this is to focus on things like writing, critical thinking, and so on.
Also, it is crucial to my overall thought process. Writing is unique because it forces the writer to be able to formulate their thoughts in a clear and concise manner. It requires organization and skill to be able to creatively and originally convey thoughts and ideas. There are so many skills that come from writing, like critical thinking skills, ability to argue a position, and support any claims. These are all skills that can be used every day. Writing can help you grow as an educated person if you put effort into it and give it attention. The elements of writing can help keep your education on the right path, in the right direction to a more capable thought-process.

No comments: