Sunday, April 6, 2008

Why Write?

Writing is a very important aspect of today’s society. No matter what people are doing, they are consistently encountering some form of writing. Whether it is making a sign for a store or just something as simple as writing down a grocery list, people are always writing. It is a skill which has evolved tremendously and it is extremely important to be able to do. Writing is a form of entertainment which is displayed through poetry and books. It is a skill which is necessary to have in order to survive in today’s society.

I personally view writing as a skill which I have improved greatly over this past year. My vocabulary has become larger and I can integrate words I never dreamed of using. Also, my grammar has become much better because I don’t make the stupid mistakes I used to make. When it comes to writing, I usually try to avoid it. I do not find myself writing for pleasure or keeping a diary. I do, however, write using today’s technology. I find myself sending text messages throughout the day and I am also a victim of sending instant messages through the computer. Even though I mainly use writing as a form of communication, I have also found myself posting information on different websites. Like posting on this blog site, I have been using a few others sites. These sites are ones which spark my interest and I have a fun time asking questions and responding to different ideas. The entire time I am writing on these sites, I am using one of life’s most important skills. In the end, no matter how much I would like to say I don’t, I use writing consistently on a daily basis. Whether it be simply through a form of communication or posting on a web site, I use some form of writing everyday.

Aside from the fact that I use writing everyday, I view the skill of writing to be one which is extremely important. Sure it is easy to argue that writing is something that is only done in school. I will also admit that it is the only place where I write page after page of information and where I truly revise my writings. Outside the school environment, writing is always used. As I said earlier, it is used through today’s means of communication. It is also demonstrated in jobs. Businesses use writing all the time to advertise something that they are trying to sell. It may be through a television commercial or even just through a flyer or poster. All of these forms of advertising are based off of some form of writing. Outside of the work environment, writing is used for entertainment purposes. It is also used in newspapers and magazines to inform the public about certain events. Also, along with informing the public, writing is used to document certain events. Without a written copy of an event that occurred, the event would either be forgotten or somewhat changed. When it comes down to it, as we have seen through this semester, writing is a very important skill. This has been demonstrated through The Humanities Text Book and each reading we have read. Writing is a skill which we use almost everyday and it is important that we are able do it.

No comments: